Environment and energy
Environment and energy
CELSA Nordic has been a pioneer in terms of environmental commitment in the Steel industry in Europe and we are devoted to retaining that position in the future. In 1996, CELSA Nordic was the first steel mill to obtain the ISO: 14001 and, in 2012, CELSA Nordic developed the Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for the reinforcing steel produced in Mo i Rana. All CELSA Steel Services (CSS) companies have their own EPD and can demonstrate the impact we have on the environment.
The protection and improvement of the environment is essential to us. Every day we try to improve our methods and installations by establishing controls, looking for new applications for the reuse or valorization of our waste and investing in technological improvements that benefit the environment. Our plants stand out for their recycling capacity.
CELSA Nordic aims for excellence in environmental management. Hence, in recent years we have been working on implementing the most demanding environmental management systems in our parent companies such as the European EMAS. Likewise, we have participated in the Climate Action Program of the World Steel Association.
“We want to be part of the solution to the problem of climate change and that is why we are already a low-emission company and we have set the goal of reducing scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions by 50% in 2030 and being Net positive in 2050”
Using the most sustainable steel production technology.
Recycling steel products at the end of their life cycle.
Reusing and valorizing the by-products of manufacturing processes that use steel as raw material.
Manufacturing of completely recyclable products and operating efficiently our facilities.
• Policy Celsa Armeringsstål wants to ensure sustainable competitiveness in order to satisfy our customers and other stakeholders from a long-term perspective. To achieve this goal, Celsa has developed a unique management system – Celsa Management System (CMS) Celsa Armeringsstål is committed to continual improvements in its activities so that any adverse impacts on the environment are either minimized or eliminated.
• We will therefore ensure:
To work with environmental management system, duly certified and adapted to the nature of our activity and commit to a sustainable development.
To have all applicable environmental legal and regulatory requirement identified, monitored and compiled.
To identify the environmental aspects of all processes and to place appropriate controls to prevent pollution, with regular monitoring of emissions.
To keep the consumption of energy, use of natural resources and generation of waste on a minimum, as far as it is possible.
To promote environmentally conscious behaviour amongst suppliers and contractors including as a criteria for their selection their commitment and evolution in this matter, and to communicate to all stakeholders the relevant information.
To ensure that environmental aspects are well known among all employees and that each person in our organization has an environmentally conscious behaviour.
To build green cities with our customers for future generations.
Celsa Armeringsstål has invested in the Best Available Technologies (BAT) for major parts of the process. A natural area of concentration for Celsa Armeringsstål the next years will be to work toward optimal running of these installations, so that the emissions of heavy metals, mercury, dioxins and dust can be at its minimum.
We have focused on sustainable production. Celsa Armeringsstål is very keen that society’s need for quality steel today is to be produced without the expense of future generations. In line with this, we have created our “Sustainability Roadmap”, focusing on the environment.
Through the committed support and participation of all those involved in its operations, Celsa Armeringsstål will fulfil this commitment achieve its objectives and help safeguard the environment for future generations.
Dated: 1st January 2020
Effective and responsible use of natural resources and energy.
• Systematic appliance of continuous improvement and prevention of pollution in the management of processes that include the establishment and periodic review of environmental objectives and goals.
• Develop a productive system that respects the environment and complies with the legal obligations and commitments and voluntary agreements signed by CELSA related to its environmental aspects.
• Encourage the implementation of the waste hierarchy in a manner that favours the following management processes: prevention, minimization, reusing, recycling, energy valorization and leaving landfill disposal as a residual management channel.
• Consider and minimize the impact of environmental aspects from the extraction of raw materials to the end-of-life conditions of the equipment, the facilities and the manufactured products, by using the best available and affordable technologies of the company.
• Develop the environmental commitment of each person that will be linked to our business including management, employees, contractors, customers and suppliers, making awareness, information and training an essential tool.
• Communicate in an open and transparent way our environmental performance with all the interested parties with the objective of achieving an environmentally respectful integration in our environment.
Efficient water management:
CELSA Nordic is committed to the efficient use of water. In fact, our Environmental and Resource Management Policy prioritises the efficient and responsible use of natural resources, including water.
We also ensure that our employees, suppliers, contractors and partners are trained in responsible use of natural resources, including water.
Our electric arc furnaces reduce consumption by 40%, compared to steelmaking in an integrated plant.
It is important to note that the most relevant industrial processes are conducted at high temperatures. Therefore, we require the use of water to ensure the cooling of both the facilities and manufactured product, with a high-water consumption due to evaporation.
New opportunities for waste
For CELSA Nordic waste management is an opportunity and a clear sign of commitment to the circular economy. All the activities are carried out in accordance with these principles. In this line, Celsa carries out various actions to promote a more sustainable and positive development for the environment:
• The use of ferrous scrap as a raw material. In the steel mills, the waste recycling process is developed to convert it into a commercial product again. This allows a lower energy cost and a more sustainable and efficient development.
• CELSA Nordic products are eternally recyclable thanks to the properties of steel. This allows all manufactured products to return to the life cycle without the need to overexploit natural resources.
• Valorization and use of waste generated during the steelmaking process. These generated materials are considered by-products because of their high intrinsic value. They have a high capacity to be used as secondary raw materials for processes such as the construction of roads or for their reuse in the process of obtaining steel.
Policy Celsa Armeringsstål is committed to continuous improvement of all processes. We will achieve this by:
- Ensuring that all customer requirements are met
- Developing the internal customer-supplier relationship
- Optimised internal functionality and economical efficiency
With use of CMS and involving all employees, we will improve our competitiveness and become the customer’s first choice as their supplier.
Dated: 1st January 2020